Sunday, November 30, 2008

Comfort and Joy

So the Thanksgiving holiday didn't go exactly as planned. Julia decided to nix any type of sleep. I ate too much. Steve enjoyed many Yuenglings and cleared leaves with Jerry. And then my migraine arrived Friday afternoon. Unfortunately I'm still feeling the leftovers from that killer. My January lesson plans still aren't finished, I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to see, I ate too much and slept too little. Grump, grump, grump.

However, it was so nice to be in a comfort zone. Although it wasn't my legal address growing up, I was home - the place where I spent a lot of time growing up. I can be me there. I can have conversations about life and receive honest, heartfelt advice. Julia is loved because who she is and not because she is the "granddaughter". Love my child, not the label or ideal of "granddaughter". Needless to say I didn't see any of my biological family. It was nice not to have to worry about it. It was nice to be free of that burden. Especially since I felt like crap for the last half of the visit.

Anyway...it took me a long time to realize that safe havens are important necessities in life. Feeling comfortable in your own skin is important to your well being. That's why I love going 'home'. I have a bad day and it's okay. No one tries to provoke me. No one tries to make me feel bad because they are having a bad day. My soul feels safe. Do you know where your soul feels safe? Good for you if you can think of a place. Just make sure you don't forget it's there and visit it frequently :) Peach (from Finding Nemo) said it best when Darla was banging on the tank: "Find a happy place, find a happy place, find a happy place!"

Now it's time to celebrate Christmas. Thanksgiving is over. Replace Fall decorations with festive Christmas and Winter glitz. I'm ready to break out my snowmen army. Steve's ready for the chocolate mess-ups from my Christmas orders (shameless plug for www.sweettidings.com). Oh, it's the most wonderful time of the year. Make sure you find time for your comfort and joy (your happy place)!

2 comments:

Kapp pack said...

I take it with the Jerry comment you spent the holiday with Jess's family. How are they doing? Are you coming to PA for Chritmas? If you are maybe we could get the girls together?

Take Care!

Mrs. Schaeffer said...

That cake site is so funny! I love it! You should think about posting some pictures of your cakes and cards on your blog with a link to your site. I love the dinosaur one you did for Leigha and Andy. I do have to say, however, that I will still buy store bought cakes on occasion, but now I will be even more embarrassed doing so. Oh well!