Monday, November 17, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jesus

This post will be short and most definitely sweet. But it was something that made me smile and I had to share.

Due to one of my teaching coworkers not reading her curriculum I am now in charge of the December bulletin board. This is a little stressful for me. Our boards are at the entrance of the school - seen by all...including those who go to church there on Sunday, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, etc. They ask us to take time since they reflect the program. I did a funny pumpkin board for October. I thought I was done until March. NOPE. And, of course, it's over the holiday season. OH JOY.

Being part of the United Methodist Church, we are asked to focus more on the real reason for the season - Christ - and not so much the commercial stuff. Fair enough. But the only ideas I had for the bulletin board included cotton beards, cuddly snowmen and handprint Rudolphs. Great. But after a quick Google search I decided on a large birthday cake and the kiddos would make the candles (painted handprint for flame, pipe cleaner for wick, kiddos can customize their candles). Maybe a few holly leaves to fill in the space. Heading "He's the LIGHT of our world - Happy Birthday, Jesus!"

After class today I went to the craft room to gather all of the supplies. One of my coworkers was there and we started to talk about the bulletin board. I explained the layout and, of course, Julia listened intently as she played with the many egg cartons that seem to take over the craft room every once in a while.

Flash forward - three hours - after an active lunch/play time at Chick-Fil-A with Sandy and crew. Here's the conversation as we walked to the car:
J: "Mama, are we going home"
H: "Yes, it's time to go home"
J: "Oh. We go home to make a birthday cake for Jesus?"
H: "No, Cheeky, we're just going home to relax"
J: "No, Mama, we make a birthday cake for Jesus"

Her memory amazes me. Her expressions and annunciations while she's talking make me laugh. Maybe for Christmas we'll make Jesus a birthday cake.

On a side note - here's a site that you should visit (thanks, Luci!). It supports Mom-preneurs and their business. Look close and you'll find http://www.sweettidings.com/ and http://love2decorate.uppercaseliving.net/ as well as other cool businesses ready to help you with your holiday shopping list.

1 comment:

Mrs. Schaeffer said...

Congrats on the ads! Don't you love all of the great sites the world of blogging has introduced you to? Love you!