Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just Call Me Flipper

Last Wednesday we had our genetics counseling appointment. Nothing alarming, just a routine check for any abnormalities. Of course, my nerves were a mess before the appointment. However they were quickly calmed after we walked into the waiting area. Smack in the middle of the room was a 150 gallon salt water fish tank complete with the entire cast of 'Finding Nemo'! While we waited we watched two blue tangs (Dory) swim around. My nerves went away and I even laughed a bit as Steve and I watched several crabs stand on their heads.

After I gave some blood (where was the aquarium then!?), it came time for the sonogram. This is the first time since our 8 week appt that we were able to see the little one. Steve and I both smiled as our baby's image appeared on the screen. It is always so neat to see the little ones in the first trimester, especially when you can't feel them yet. Then came the really amusing part...

Although the nurse found s/he right off the bat, it wasn't for long! After a few seconds of seeing their profile, the baby completely flipped around and showed us the butt! The nurse tried again - the baby flipped again. She goes "Wow, this one doesn't want to be bothered by me! Stop poking! I'm sleeping!" (Our nurse was Russian, so this was said with an accent - she was so funny!)

The last few minutes of the sonogram the baby was flipping and kicking and waving like crazy. Not cooperating...but it gave us more time to watch it as the nurse tried to get the info she needed. Steve and I chuckled a couple of times when it would give us a good profile, then flip their back to us...as if mooning us. Although I couldn't feel it, I have a feeling I definitely will in the coming months! Thankfully she was able to get the measurements and pics we needed.

Here are some of the pics they were able to snap during the sonogram:
Here the baby is face-up; profile is on the right -

Here the baby is face-down; profile on the right but this was taken in mid-flip. You can see an arm and leg (bent) in this one -


Yesterday we received a phone call from the office saying that my blood tests looked wonderful. Paired with the good measurements, no signs of excess fluid in the spine and good skull structure; we should have a very healthy Haney in July. And by the high activity level; it looks like s/he is taking after their big sister! (Help!?)

2 comments:

Mrs. Schaeffer said...

Hip hip hooray! You may just have to name this one after a friend from the sea. I'll start working on a list of suggestions for you.

Amy said...

Congratulations!!!!!