Friday, January 2, 2009

The Weapon is Gone!

Today we celebrate the removal of the purple cast. And may it be the last cast we see!

Julia was very excited to see the doctor and say goodbye to her "band aid". We prepared her for more pictures and a loud saw. She was actually well behaved for the entire ordeal - telling Steve and I stories about the exam room "It's a nice room where the doctor sleeps", "I like my room", "This is where the doctor is going to see my band aid", "It needs a pixie leaf" (I'll post about the pixie leaf another time). I even got a "thank you" from the nurse (see Mama Said... for the story of the nurse who loves the Redskins) when he saw my Eagles shirt. The compliment came because the Eagles beat the crap out of the Cowboys last weekend. BIG DEAL down here. Anyway...

She got to wear cool purple headphones as they started the circular saw that removes the cast. She didn't even squeal! It was very loud and even I was a bit nervous. But she watched intently as the nurse sawed down both sides of the cast. As he was cutting it off, he told her that she was the best patient of the day because she greeted him with a great big smile and didn't even flinch when he started the saw.

Then she tried to stretch her arm - immediate screams and tears. We were able to calm her with some gentle touches and hugs. The doctor gave her a clean bill of health but it will take a few days for her arm's muscles to get back to normal. Whew, what a relief.

So our hugs are now cast-free and we aren't in danger of getting pelted by a very hard cast. As much as she tried to be careful with her arm ouchie; we did get a few 'hits'. But Steve and I are very happy to have our snuggle-hugs back :)