Thursday, September 18, 2008

On My Sleeve

We've all been there. We meet a person who intrigues us and we want to know more. The more we know, the more we fall in love. They become our soul's best friend and we cannot imagine life without them. They compliment us. They help us grow. They help us become better people. My someone is Steve.

The same can be said about individuals we meet as we go thru life. They just fit into our lives. They know our good and bad sides. They're honest with us when we need a good dose of reality. It doesn't matter how long it's been since you've spoken to them. The conversation starts at the place where you left it. My individuals are Jess, Steph, Luci, Leigha, Melissa, Sandy, Teri, Bob and Nancy, and Grammy Sandy. They represent every step in my life. Grade School, College, Professional and now Motherhood. It's comforting to know they are part of my life.

Then there are the siblings. When I was 11 1/2 years old I became a sister. I was an only child until that time. Of course this was a major life change. But I wouldn't change it for the world. He grew-up in front of me and I hated to leave for college when he was only 6. From then on, my little buddy who I watched grow daily, grew in flashes - visits to Shippensburg and home over holidays. He's now taller than me. An adventurous 20 year-old who just started his Sophomore college year in London. I'm glad I only blinked and not shut my eyes! The years just flew past me.

Three years ago this Sunday, God introduced someone into my life. Her name is Julia Grace. The pregnancy was rough, the labor/delivery very long and painful. But she arrived safe and has forever changed our lives. I might not always like her...but I love her with every fiber of my being. Steve and I were fortunate enough in our marriage to travel the country and the Mediterranean. But after everything we've witnessed, nothing compares to this little person who is living proof of the love and respect that Steve and I share for one another. We love being parents. We love watching her learn. She never fails to make us laugh. And everyone needs a little laughter in their lives.

Why am I being so sappy? It's been a long emotional (but a good emotional) week for me. My brother turned
20. Two days later he flew to London for the semester. Our little girl is turning 3 on Sunday. Steve and I are planning a small trip to celebrate our 9-year anniversary in early October. Whew, all this while going about the daily fun of parenting and housekeeping (if that's what you call it). In the middle of what I thought was a crazy life, a friend sent me a link to a blog. Suddenly I was grateful for all of the emotions I felt this week. Why? Simply because they involve the people in my life that I love - not because I might lose them.

Stay-at-home-moms have a strong network out here in Manassas. Our husbands are involved in professions that require travel (some are stationed in Iraq), long hours, weekend hours, hellish commutes and riding the train to and from the District. We all band together and help one another when a day has gone awry. We frequent parks and activities around town...sometimes I think it's more for our sanity than for the kids social experience :) Most days I'm exhausted and wish for some alone time, or a less busy schedule.

However this blog introduced me to a family in a neighboring town that is desperate to get back to that way of life. On September 11 a stay-at-home-mom was rushed to the hospital - leaving a preschooler and an infant behind at home. She hasn't regained full consciousness yet. Here is their story:
http://www.hyatt911.blogspot.com/
My heart cried when I read this. Here is a family that just wants their crazy life back. I said a prayer thanking God for everyone in my life and asking him to provide strength to the Nolan family. I'm asking everyone to find a moment and say a little prayer for this family and for those that you love. It's not often that I wear my heart on my sleeve. But right now I need it there.

No comments: